“Good packaging protects your protect.”
As you know, product packaging UK design is the process of making the containers that your products will store in. It affects how they look and feel, how well they protect what’s inside, and how fun it is to open them.
Let’s know their importance!
Why Is It Important To Design How Products Are Packaged?
If you have an online store, the first time a customer sees your products is when they take them out of the box. It’s a great chance to give them a great first impression of your brand.
Because your online business doesn’t have a store layout or great employees to show potential customers, your package design is an important part of your brand.
In fact, a poll by Ipsos found that 66% of people said that the materials used to package a product often affect their decision to buy the product itself.
Furthermore, this means that the way you package your products can have a big effect on how much money you make.
The Six Steps To Making Product Packaging UK
From research to testing, there are a few things to think about when making good packaging.
Here are six easy steps for how to do it.
Describe Your Product And Who Will Buy It
The first thing you need to do is figure out what your product is and who is most likely to want to buy it. This means giving answers to things like:
- What are its size and shape? Think about how big your product is and how much it weighs. For instance, if you sell curtain rods, you might want to think about packaging that works well with long, thin objects. If you want to sell paper, you should think about ways to package them that are stronger and last longer.
- What does it consist of? Are your products fragile? Do they have an expiration date? If your products are made of thin glass, you need to think about how to package them so that they don’t break during shipping. And if you are selling something that has a limited shelf life, like food, you need to make sure your food packaging has ways to keep it fresh, like ice packs or seal bags.
- Who are you trying to reach? Know who you’re selling to. For instance, if you’re selling power tools to serious tradespeople, a glittery pink cardboard box might not be the best way to package them.
Identify Your Product Requirements
Now it’s time to figure out what kind of packaging, both physically and legally, your item needs. Before you get to the fun part of designing, you need to do research on these important things. Getting it right can save you a lot of trouble.
Here is where you decide what kind of packaging material, you’ll need to safely store your products, taking into account their size, weight, and distance travelled.
Some products must also package and ship in a way that follows the law.
For instance, the FDA has strict rules about how to package, label, and store food products.
Make sure you find out what rules are in place in your area for the products you want to sell.
Printing Your Packaging
During pre-press, you decide on the final artwork for your packaging and the exact colours you want your printers to use. It’s also where you make sure that your specs meet the needs of your printer. For example, if your printer says that all files must be sent as pdf or.jpeg files, you’ll need to send them in those formats.
If you can, get a test print of your packaging to see how the colours look in real life.
When a colour is printed on different kinds of packaging, it can look very different from how it looks on a computer screen.
Research The Competition
The next step in making your product packaging UK ideas is to look into what your competitors are doing. See what is being used and figure out what might work best for your own products.
Go to a store that sells products that are similar to yours and watch how things are set up.
Note the colours, shapes, and materials that are used to package similar products.
- Look at the sites of your favorite online stores. Look for similar products and pay attention to how they are packaged. Read the customer reviews to see what people are saying about the packaging. It might be a good idea to keep an eye out for negative reviews to see where you can make improvements.
- Look on YouTube to see if there are any unboxing videos for your product. They’ll tell you a lot about what people like about the opening process, and it might give you some creative ideas that you can’t imagine.
Check The Box
When your packaging materials come back from the printer, it’s time to see how well they work. Test everything, including how it looks and how well it works.
Pack one of your products using your new packaging idea and materials, and then throw it around to see how it would be delivered.
Be tough, because shipping can be hard on things physically.
This means that you can find any possible problems during the test phase and fix them.
If your products are getting broken, go back to the drawing board and change how you make them so you don’t get more bad reviews.
After you’ve checked how long your packaging will last, you should check how easy it is to open. If one of your packages needs a sledgehammer and a blowtorch to open, your customers won’t buy much from you again. Try to get a friend or family member to act out an “unboxing” video so you can see what they like and don’t like about the packaging.
By Summarizing The Above Discussion
Lastly, ask other people what they think of your product packaging UK design.
You can ask your friends and family or even use polls on social media.
Instead of just asking people if they like it or not, ask them specific questions like, “Based on the design, what kind of product do you think is in this box?”
“Would this make you smile if you found it in your mailbox?”
The better, the more information you can get.